Monday, December 15, 2008

Just a thought

Somewhere amidst the many "special offers" you get in the hospital/mail/email/Motherhood Maternity store I signed up for Parenting magazine. I don't remember doing this at all and I'm not really into getting magazines, but Jonathan insists that since I get that he gets to sign up for ESPN magazine (even though he reads every Parenting issue I get from cover to cover :) ). Still, I also devour them every month during my random spare minutes during the day and this month I read one of the most heartwarming things I've ever heard on parenting. It may just be touching to me because of the whole tantrum issue and the fact that Easton has been really sick for over a week and now I'm also sick, the house is a mess, and I'm going nuts not being able to go out because of the cold and now being able to play with friends because of those darn germs, but I thought I would share it anyway in case it might brighten someone else's day. The article is called "Learning from Liam" and is about a mother who was 41, already had 4 kids, and found out she was (suprise!) pregnant again. She talked about how she sobbed and didn't want to have another since her youngest was finally in preschool and she was actually getting time to herself to do things like volunteering, yoga classes, and swimming laps. She also knew how crazy people would think she was for having so many and for having a 15-year gap between her first and last (she should come to Utah) and so at first it was hard to accept. Well, a few things happened to help her put things into perspective and she talked about how now when her 14-year-old gives her trouble about curfews she remembers her as a little girl and knows it's just a stage, and also how when her new baby keeps her up all night she remembers how "the baby time of total contact is gone like a blink forever -- and I snuggle in and enjoy it." (Since the last two months have been a marathon of sleepless nights and sometimes days I really appreciated that.) Easton hasn't been too difficult and has really mostly been a lot of fun, but there are just some things I miss like sleep, getting to rest when I'm sick instead of still needing to take care of him, actually getting to read a whole book, and getting to run as long as I want instead of just until he decides he's done with the stroller. So what really touched me and helped me put my life into perspective is what she said at the end of her article: "I know that there is nothing better than being a mom. There will be time for myself later, when my children are grown. Right now, I'm busy having a wonderful time." From now on, when I'm playing with Easton, I'm going to forget all the really unimportant things that seem to fill my day and just enjoy having a really, truly, wonderful time.

9 comments:

rainsfamily said...

Lins, you are so cute. I think that alot of new mom's are struggling in alot of ways but at the end of the day look at their baby and wouldn't trade him for anything in the whole world, no matter what trials they are going through. You looked so beautiful at the wedding/bridal shower. It's obvious you are very happy. Keep up the good work.

Tashina said...

I needed that today! Thanks, Lins!!

Chelsey and Brandt said...

I love that post. I really needed to read it today. So you commented on my blog that now Easton is throwing up. What is going on with him? Are you and Jonathan ok or are you sick too? I know you have had a cold but I hope you all dont get the throw ups. Those suck.

Janaca said...

What a great thought! Thanks for sharing. Being a mom is such a tough job at times! It seems like it will last forever but really they'll be gone before we know it. I need to remember to live in the moment more often!

Chelsey and Brandt said...

Does Easton have a fever? Because sometimes you can throw up with strep throat or from having a high fever. Just FYI. I will pray for you that you wont be sick.

Messimoo said...

Linsi, hang in there! You're a wonderful Mom! Those sick times are just not fun at all! Here's hoping everyone starts feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Linsi! Good questions! Are you guys getting a point and shoot camera? IF so there are so many great choices out there! Nikon, Canon, and Olympus are the top brands for professional cameras... which are called Digital SLRs. I have an Olympus that I got about 4 years ago... so it's getting outdated but it still works great. I do have a special lens that makes the background blurry. You could try it with a regular camera, I suppose, but I never have tried. Most of the pics on here though, I take with my Olympus point and shoot digital camera. We got it for Christmas last year. Good brands for those are the same as the SLRs but Sony and Samsung are good too. You really can't go wrong with those. The only thing I would say is that Kodak cameras aren't the greatest. Also, there are so many now days that are 8 megapixels or higher. The higher the better, but you really don't need anything bigger then 8 or 10. The higher the megapixel, the faster your camera shoots and if you ever want to print your pics HUGE, then it also helps with that. I hope this helps! GOod luck choosing!

Nicole said...

oh, man!!! we live so close Lins, we need to help each other out!! :) Carson and I have been sick... my house is a complete disaster..... we really need to be out of our minds together :) that story you shared was sweet, and it's SO true. It's sometimes hard to take a step back and remind ourselves of this!!!!

Mandy1 said...

Hey Lins,
So I have some advice from your post about tantrums. When we are at church we try to make the hallway as boring as possible. If my kids want a snack or toys they have to be in class with us. If they want to go in the hallway, they sit on our lap. No running or playing or being entertained by the other kids out there. He still is pretty young but this is what has worked for me. Good Luck!
Mandy